When I was younger, I used to read until stupid o’clock in the morning and have barely any sleep before school. That was especially the case when reading Harry Potter but I haven’t really been reading for the last couple of years. I definitely wanted to get back into it however!
Honestly I don’t know why I’d stopped reading, but now I’ve found my love for it again having first read J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (finally) and Leigh Bardugo’s Wonder Woman: Warbringer. It’s no secret that I read graphic novels and comics, but I’m so glad that the DC Icons series is a thing and got me back into reading young adult fantasy!
Quickly after reading Wonder Woman I found a few series that I had to try next, and started with Sarah J. Maas’ Throne of Glass series. Well, I haven’t been this in love with a series since Harry Potter itself! The world she’s created is fascinating, empowering and I’m already onto the fourth book in the series, Queen of Shadows.
I found a really amazing company (FromNewLeaf) on Instagram who create polymer clay charms with book covers on and bought the below Throne of Glass series bracelet. How beautiful is it? They also make custom charms and necklaces with book covers on, so there’s a high chance of me getting a necklace with Jurassic Park on at some point.
Fantasy will always be my favourite genre for everything – video games, books and film – but I’ve missed how great it is to picture something entirely new in your head, led by the words on a page.
My all-time favourite book though… is Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I will always be a sucker for anything with dinosaurs in, and I have the world’s most beautiful version of it from Barnes and Noble too.
My Current Top Reading List!
Well, since I don’t really have a middle ground with anything I do, I already have a lot of books that I need to desperately catch up on reading quickly!
My top most anticipated reads on my bookshelf are as follows:
- The whole Throne of Glass series (this won’t take me that long, and I’ll cry when I have to wait for the last one)
- The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano (currently reading alongside Queen of Shadows so I can write a review on it ASAP, it’s brilliant so far though)
- ACOTAR, ACOMAF, ACOWAR… (anything Sarah J. Mass basically, I am definitely eager to read Catwoman: Soulstealer from the DC Icon Series written by her!)
- The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli (because dragons)
- Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows (see above…)
- Bonfire (it’s written by Krysten Ritter… Jessica Jones of all people so I’m definitely looking forward to reading this)
- Magnus Chase by Rick Riordan (vikings, yes please)
- Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore (the book cover is to die for)
- The Grisha Series (more Leigh Bardugo, yes please after Wonder Woman)
- Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (yep, that’s how far behind I am with reading – when I was younger I focused more on vampire books…)
So that’s my list for now! It’s not all of them, and it’s in no particular order, but I can honestly say I’m excited to read every single one of them!
I think I might do some book reviews for the newer books.
Another reason I’m so happy to be reading again is actually because I think I have a good idea for my own novel. But I want to read the work of amazing authors first but who knows maybe I’ll be on a list like the above one day? (I can dream, right?).
Have you read any of the above yet?
Or are you almost as behind as I am?